At Astley's Plumbing and Hardware, we pride ourselves on our local traditions, our knowledgeable staff and the many community activities that we have been a part of over the years.
We have long been the Tradesman's Secret - but the secret is now out!
Astley's Plumbing & Hardware evolved from a business called
J Ritter & Co, a plumbing company established in the late 1890’s by Mr Joe Ritter at 45 Church St, Dubbo. Mr Ritter took on Les Astley as an apprentice in the years preceding the 1st World War.
After Les came back from the war he continued to work for Mr Ritter until the late 1920’s, when he then took over the business.
The firm's main focus at this point was tank making, windmill installing, and general plumbing works and supplies.
Les’ son Harold joined the business in the mid 1940’s, finally forming a partnership with his father in 1954, and they changed the name of the business to Les Astley & Son.
The business quickly outgrew its site in Church St, so in 1972, Harold moved the business to its present location in Cobbora Rd, then on the outskirts of town.
Hardware and building supplies were added to the already established plumbing supplies at this stage.
Two of Harold’s sons joined the firm in 1978 and 1980 (Mark & Stuart), Stuart now being the current Managing Director.
More expansion followed over the next 20 years, including:
- A 2nd storey in the late 1980’s
- The establishment of a La Farge Plastamasta centre in the early 1980’s
- The establishment of an Industrial Supplies division in the early 2000’s
The Astley's business now has approximately 35 employees, and services Dubbo and majority of the Western NSW. There aren’t many buildings in the Dubbo area that Astley’s haven’t contributed to in some way.